Saturday, May 5, 2012

Snake Cake

It seems like forever since I have been able to post a picture of a cake.  Probably because it has been forever since I have made one.  I was nervous about this one.  Mainly because I am less than a couple weeks from having a new baby.  I didn't know if I would be able to make a cake that I would be happy with.  No worries the birthday boy and this mama were very pleased with the results. 
The cake is three round cakes that I carved just a bit to give it more snake like curves.  The head and the tail were both fondant.   

To get the snake skin texture I used one of those plastic orange bags that your oranges come in.  Then I painted it using a little bit of clear vanilla and gel food coloring.


I thought he would never ask for anything other than a Thomas cake.  The kids love catching snakes in the yard.  He was excited to have a snake cake for his birthday. 


6 years?  He is getting so big.  In just a month our oldest will be 8!!  I remember when they were so much younger.  I love that they are growing up and the kids they are, but it does make me sad too.

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

What an AWESOME cake!!!!!!!!

Katrina said...

Amazing as always!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

That is creepy and awesome! Excellent job!

EvieMae said...

WOW! That is unbelievable! You are SOOOOO talented! I LOVE IT!!!

Mandi Russell said...

hi! how did you paint the color on the snake?

Positively Peaches said...

Hi Mandi. I mixed food coloring with lemon extract and painted it using a brand new paint brush.